July 18, 2013

Super Glue and the Not Too Bright

You know what's not funny? I know it always gets a laugh in cartoons. Laurel and Hardy can make it seem hilarious. It even sounds funny in the telling, but is actually a royal pain in the old gluteus Maximus. Super-gluing your hand. Not amusing. I know. I did it. To myself.

I ponder two questions - Is it just me? Am I the only one who does these incredibly stupid things? And, assuming I am, why do I choose to do things that have no urgency whatsoever (as in, if they never got done at all, no one, and I do mean no one, would ever notice) when I am in the middle of packing for vacation and running out to the store for last minute necessities. I think I am beginning to see a connection.


My mother's high school ring from St. Patrick's Academy Class of 1932 has been in my possession for twenty-seven years now. The medallion on its face has been loose for all of those twenty-seven years. I've been meaning to fix this for exactly twenty-seven years. The Friday before last as I was ironing a linen shirt before packing it I felt an overwhelmingly urgent need to take care of this little ring problem.

Why, I ask myself? Why in the midst of running around like a chicken sans head did I need to fix this ring immediately? I had no intention of wearing the ring. I plan to pass it on to my granddaughter to keep in her jewelry box until she passes it on to her own granddaughter. And so on.

I think, perhaps, it's because I had finally found a Super Glue that can be used more than once. This Loctite glue does not glue itself shut. I had used it about a year ago and then earlier that week I pulled it out to glue the handle back onto my sugar bowl. And it worked like a charm. One little drop eased out of the container, settled onto the broken bowl and in the blink of an eye, Voila! handle reattached! I was thrilled! (It strikes me here that I do seem to be easily amused. Hmm. Perhaps I should get out more.)

Now for whatever reason, I dropped the ironing, dug out the ring and the glue, sat at the desk right next to the keyboard, and began my little project which should have taken no more than thirty seconds.

I quickly realized that the sugar bowl had been a fluke.

You may notice the PROFESSIONAL CONTROL boldly written on the label. It really should say NOT TO BE USED BY IDIOTS NAMED PENNY.  I pressed the bottle and nothing came out. I pressed harder and - nothing. I put the bottle down and examined the nozzle. It seemed clear. I could have read the directions, but chose not to. I just picked it up again and squeezed really hard. This time, of course, I squeezed the little red thingys on the sides and discovered that this is how one is supposed to squeeze the stupid thing.

The glue came out just fine. Lots of it, all over my hand and the desk barely missing the keyboard (thank God, or I'd still be hearing about it), and I later noticed on the new slacks I was wearing. It was sheer luck that I didn't actually attach myself to the desk.

Getting super glue off is certainly harder than getting it on. My recommendation should this ever happen to you: generous amounts of nail polish remover followed by Goo Gone, Dawn, and Krud Kutter. Then you can spend the entire afternoon peeling off little pieces until, by the next morning, it's gone from you skin and the wood top of the desk. It will not be gone from your slacks.

On the plus side, I successfully glued the medallion back onto the ring and put it safely away to give to Sophie in another twenty-seven years.

6 comments:

  1. Penny, you have a talent for making the simplest situation both touching and hilarious. You remind us that our day-to-day lives are grand adventures if we just look at things the right way. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hear ya, Why I try not to use it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recommendation:
    Do not fuel a lawnmower!
    Especially near your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the slacks you got it on weren't your favorite pair...then again, you could always put a little on the matching top and have an Entirely different outfit...and think of the shoes you could put just a dollop on....

    hey, here's another idea, a little drop of that glue and your feet won't slid to the front in your sandals. Well, they won't slide at all and the skin might be a little....ok, so maybe not in your shoes....

    Another great story

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I believe this how tye-dye started, a mishap in the wash. We could start a trend. But you're right, not the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super gluing your hand? Man, not funny at all! No you’re not the only one who “does these incredibly stupid things” to himself. And I’m not sure if it’s stupidity. Maybe it was just you underestimating how fast superglue could dry up and stick to things. Here's a tip: Just soak your hands in warm and soapy water, and it will come off eventually. Shannon @ InstantCA.com

    ReplyDelete